Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Night Ride Tallahassee....I've seen the light!!



Last night, I took part in the weekly Tuesday night shop ride that leaves from Higher Ground.



We left at 6:30pm, just as things were getting dark. Seven of us took part, and it turned out to be a nice moderate pace, with little stopping; just as a good shop ride should be.



We were out for a couple of hours. What was special about this ride, however, was that I was the only one running a halogen light system. For the last 5 years, my Solo Logic L&M has done me just fine. I have 2 batteries, and so I can get about 4 hours of runtime at 12 watts (the high beams). I'm used to the 'yellow' colour the light emits. Everyone else on the ride was running LED light systems. LED stands for Light Emitting Diode, the latest in MTB lighting technology. Not so much a bulb, but a piece of electronic circuitry, these lights are vastly superior to any halogen system. In fact, I could follow a rider with a LED system, without even turning my light on! The white light they give off cut through all the shadows of the trail; they are more durable than a traditional bulb system; they require less power and therefore last much longer; kind of a no-brainer. The price for this level of technology is high, but if you spend alot of time riding in the dark...



I don't, so for now I'll just follow those who have seen the light.

1 comment:

Jonelle Carter said...

night riding in Florida...Sweet :)